July 24, 2013

American Bellflower

This pretty flower is the American bellflower - also known as the tall bellflower.  I've passed these native wildflowers many a time on the trail at camp while walking from Eco-Con to the council ring, not knowing what they was but always admiring their color.  Today, I finally looked them up!


As you can see, they have five petals, all coming together in a white, inner ring.  The blossoms grow on long stalks, and range in color from light blue to purple.  That's one reason I like these beautiful bolts so much - those are some of my favorite colors!


It is unique in that it is not as bell-shaped as most other flowers in its group.  It's scientific name, Campulastrum americana, is taken from the Latin "campana", which means "bell".

2 comments:

  1. They really are pretty little flowers :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Sarah. I think so too, and I really like the fact that they are an American original.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you, so please leave comments. Thank you!